Sunday, February 14, 2010

WHAT LIFE WAS LIKE BEFORE CELL PHONES

There was a time I refused to have a cell phone. That wasn't too many years ago. Well, not as I count years. Probably it was about eight I guess.

I can remember.. sitting in a restaurant and actually talking to the people you were with instead of the one who couldn't make it...not having to listen to the person behind you in line at the store threaten her kids (and wonder if she really thought they cared. What was she going to do, reach through the phone?)...being at work and knowing the person looking at me was talking to me...leaving the house and knowing the kids couldn't find you until you were ready.

Today after lunch though I remembered...walking the floor at 2a.m. because a child wasn't home yet (I guess that works both ways)...being stranded in traffic and not having a way to let anyone know...being lost coming back from a Christmas Around The World party and being afraid to knock on someones door to use the phone...running out of gas...not being able to find your parents when you want to...

I remembered all this because Les and I went to church in separate cars this morning and I forgot my cell phone. Soooo, we left church in separate cars, and met for lunch. When we left the restaurant I went first and was cruising down Clear Lake City Blvd. When I crossed the tracks I looked back and he wasn't behind me. I drove slowly for another few blocks then turned on my hazard lights and barely rolled. Finally just before I got to I-45 I turned around and started back, watching for him. Sure enough, there he went, right past me going the opposite way. We saw each other about the same time and I had to U-turn and go back. Anyway, by the time I pulled up in the driveway he was about to back out to go look for me.

If there is a moral to this story I guess it would be, keep your cell phone with you and turn it off if you don't want to be found!!

Love You All

No comments:

Post a Comment