Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Special People- #4

Special People
***A Brother - A Friend***
Today I want to introduce you to one of my two brothers. The "older" one. While we were growing up he was an example to Valmond and me in so many ways. I might say, just so he doesn't get too puffed up, they weren't ALL the best possible examples.

There were the times he would have us be the "ammo" bearers in The War of the Spitballs between him and Sam. We learned to...stay OUT of the line of fire, even if you are doing an important job. It seems the ammo bearers were disposable and the warrior wasn't.

Then there were the times in the back seat of the car, you know the ones when the belt came off, when he would whisper things that made us scream and cry, "gross". We learned from those times to duck before screaming.

Oh, there was the game of "you can ride the bike (we all shared one) when you catch me." Ha! The lesson there was wait until he was tired of riding and then get the bike.

I trained for my future employment from him. I would charge him to clean out his car and shine his shoes. I learned to tell him he looked really cool when he combed his hair like Elvis. (I have to admit I continued to learn to support myself when Valmond started working too. Stay tuned for a future post on that one.) Tell me, do these three precious children look like trouble makers to you?

He took me for hamburgers, ice cream and rides in his car, "taught me to drive" when I was twelve. Only so I could hold the wheel while he ate his hamburger.

He never ratted me out when I would hide in the back seat of his car and try to go on his dates when he would take Laj to the movies. He just took me back home and begged me to go inside so daddy wouldn't know I had snuck away.

Before you get the wrong idea about this older brother we had, I also must tell you he was the one who took me to church before mom and dad started taking us. I remember the two of us walking to Winborn Methodist Church on yep, Winborn Avenue, when I was very young. He would take me to my class and stand outside the door to see if I cried. Of course when I learned he was waiting there, I cried. I'm not sure if I learned to attend church, or to cry to get my brother's attention. No comment, V.P.

I remember his humble acceptance of daddy's "house rules" even after he was grown and out of the house. Any time he came home he showed the utmost respect and honor for our parents. I learned it was cool to respect (if not fear) daddy's rules.

When we were older and had families of our own he let Wayne and Connie live with them in Enterprise so they could finish their third and fourth grade years. The teachers in EBRP went on strike and the schools had to make up the time lost during the summer. Of course my kids didn't think it so cool to have an uncle as principal and one as their teacher. Poor "Little Wayne" had to take fifth grade classes under Uncle Valmond and get sent to Uncle Wayne in the office.

A few years later Wayne moved to Jackson and started a career in a Children's home. After serving there for a couple years he moved to Albany and started and ministered to children sent by our Lord using land that was given him by his dad. He spent almost thirty years ministering to those in need wherever he met them on their journey through life. The examples he set forth are still borne out in the lives of many of those young people today. I had the honor of serving with him for a year close to the start of that ministry.


For twenty years our lives took different paths but we never stopped loving or praying for each other. After such a long time God brought us back together and now we share a love and understanding of Love, Mercy and Grace we could never have known as younger siblings. He now has the opportunity of knowing the most gentle, understanding man I have ever known in this life and I have been given the chance to know and love a true lady. One who knows the meaning of love as defined in I Corinthians 13. I pray we all can experience love demonstrated in this way.

On this day, June 24th, 2009, I wish my older brother a very Happy 66th Birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I LOVE YOU,


SISSY








1 comment:

  1. Wayne,

    I wrote something to Alma, but couldn’t post it. I really don’t do much on blogs. Below is what I wanted to post. Maybe you could share it with her if you get a chance. By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY, brother. May God bless you with many more.





    Alma, you certainly brought back many memories from our childhood. I often think of the times when Jerry and I lived with you and your family. Great times in the little bedroom where the four of us boys slept. I never heard any open complaints about us being there and the love shared will never be forgotten. I thank God every day for the Christian family that we were blessed to be in and also for the great memories and wonderful times we all had. We really didn't have many of the riches of this life, or at least not the ones that this world feels are important. But we did have the love and closeness of family and our Lord and that cannot be measured in worldly riches.

    Thanks again for sharing the story of our childhood.

    Love

    Sam

    ReplyDelete