Wednesday, August 19, 2009

WHEN DOES A MEMORY START

Are they from years gone by and become memories when we are old, or do they happen as we live life and become more precious as time goes by? That's one of those questions, you know, the chicken or egg sort of thing.

If you have known me for a while, or have followed this blog over the last couple months, you know there aren't answers to most of the questions I have about life. Life happens, through the Grace of our Lord, and we live and love through it.

Today has been another chapter in a friendship that started several years ago in a hospital in Galveston, Texas. The very beginning of this story is for another time, but through that beginning a very special lady came into our lives. That is when God, working through Jill Jones Douglas, changed my life.

Jill was, at first, a pre-transplant co-ordinator working to help secure a "new" kidney/pancreas for me. We saw each other every month for "labs" and tried very hard to maintain a professional nurse/patient relationship. Lots of things happened and several trips for the anticipated transplant occurred over roughly four years.

Finally one night in August of 2004 I received a phone call while our family sat at Chili's having a family dinner. By this time Jill had moved to post transplant and I had a new co-ordinator. As God would have it though, Jill happened to be on call that evening and called to tell me we had a 7 out of 7 match for "KIDNEY ONLY". Of course we didn't see that as the answer we were seeking but Jill said, "Mrs. Fenter, (there, that professionalism) think about this really hard, this is a perfect match; I can't advise you, but if I had to make the choice for a loved one, this would be my choice. Think hard about it and call me back within an hour. We do have others waiting but I wanted to offer it to YOU first". Les and the kids and I discussed it and one of them said "Mom, what did Jill say, that's what we need to do". That's what we did. Before that transplant took place, lots of stuff happened to my little kidney but Jill watched it, literally, for me until we went to surgery. She reported on it daily for three days.

On August 18, 2004, mid-afternoon, we went to surgery. Me being the questioner I am, Les said I questioned the doctors and anesthesiologist until they rolled me into surgery. I don't really remember much about all that. Actually, I think the family made up a LOT of dumb stuff they said I did anyway...

In June of 2005 during a clinic visit Jill told me she had met her Mr. Right, or Mr. Douglas as it were, and would be moving to Denver in July. I just knew at that point I would not be able to continue on my road to complete recovery without my Jill. I think I cried a river of tears and while everyone at UTMB continued to be wonderful and completely supportive I missed her smile and encouragement so much.

Throughout the last four years we have remained friends, e-mailing often and almost getting together on one of her visits to Galveston. She came to visit her dad, to help after Ike came to call, to see her daughter and just to try to hold a family together. We couldn't manage our schedules until today, here in Denver.

This morning, five years and one day after transplant, we sat in a restaurant, ate breakfast, laughed, cried and laughed some more. We started catching up on our families, events and people we share in common. I know somehow this friendship will continue and it will not be four years before we see one another again.

I know this, like most of my blogs, makes much more sense to me than to you. These are the times life collides with memories and memories become part of life.

As I sat across the table from her and looked into her smiling eyes, I couldn't help thanking God for yet another glimpse of what eternity is going to be like. I know He works out problems and overcomes distance even when we don't see how.


Love ya, Jill.




Alma

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. She has become a dear friend to you. Hold on to that relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time we got down to pre-surgery, Alma had already had the "shot" to begin making her a little wuzzy. But the anesthesiologist made the mistake of asking her if she had any questions about the drugs he would be giving her. Really...that was a mistake! She asked about EVERY possible drug and what the reactions might be. After about 15 minutes, I just had to say, "Honey, we just have to trust them. This man knows what he's doing." She laid down then, and rested.

    ReplyDelete