Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Planning a Retreat

??????????HAVE I LOST MY MIND??????????
How many of you would even think about planning a retreat for women? That's what I thought. I HAVE lost my mind. Of course I've been called a lot of things in my short life time, but "The Brightest Crayon in the Box" hasn't been one of them.
Last summer I accepted a volunteer position, Women's Ministry Leader, at our church. We only have about 125-150 women ranging from young mommies to great-grandmothers in our congregation. There hasn't been anyone "in charge" (like anyone is ever in charge of that many women) for about five years. They really are a sweet group of women and are always ready to lend a hand, at least until you start planning a retreat for them, that is.
So, I have one lady helping me plan this retreat for the last weekend in February. She will be in charge of music and worship. That, my friends is a VERY good thing since I don't know a note, from a bar, from a staff, and would not know how to put any of them together, unless the staff would write a note to someone in the bar. No?, I thought not. I have a lady who will do the layout of the program and one who will print and assemble name tags.
I have done enough retreat planning in our former church and on my job for fifteen years one would think I could do it with my eyes closed. Here are just a few of the obstacles I've faced in one week.
*Made a typo on the poster I put up in the restrooms and foyer
*Sent the info to the church secretary to post in the bulletin -
cost not designated as per person on it.
*Had to call the ladies already signed up and explain cost
*One lady told me she called the hotel and they don't have queen beds
*Sent out e-mails to ask for help on different things - no responses>br>
All except the last one is fixable. Everyone seems to be excited and looking
forward to the weekend. I guess though they think chocolates will put themselves in the guest rooms, the rooming list will appear out of thin air, the program will be written by God himself, the small group questions will be pre-printed and someone from the hallway will lead the groups, the chef will just know what food we want to serve, centerpieces will be donated by every one else except them, a prayer walk is something made out of concrete, decorations jump on the tables and the props are purchased on-line. Oh, did I mention we will need about 20 dozen cookies with affirmations written on them. I think the biggest mis-conception though, is that this Women's Ministry Leader has it under control. Anyone out there want to be the MC? If you do, you have to think of something to say all by yourself.
I know this sounds crazy, and it just might be, (it did to him too) but I keep hearing the words "remember Gideon" (thanks Tricia for the reminder I had to look up the story and read it again)...long story short, God accomplished with 300 men what Gideon had assembled 30,000 men to do. Of course, Gideon was defeating a nation, I'm planning a women's retreat. Gideon, where are your 30,000??
Anyway, I'm sure on February 28Th, the day after the retreat, I will have had all the help I needed. I am looking forward to it. Anyone out there, ladies, who wants to attend a well though out and semi organized retreat, let me know.
I think I say all this to say I'm having a blast, and a few sleepless nights!
To God Be The Glory

4 comments:

  1. I do know that God will stretch you every time you volunteer to do something for Him. You will do great, and many women will be blessed because of your hard work and dedication. And you are correct when all is said and done you know it will have been a Good Thing. God's Blessings be with you. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to shine as the leader. I know it will be great and you will inspire others. Have fun with it.
    Your welcome about Gideon. He is on my mind a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is an honest replay of what's going on in your life. Keep up the great, courageous work!! Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say I am felling much better about our ladies retreat. The Spirit is stiring and ladies are responding. Thank You Lord!

    ReplyDelete