Tuesday, September 15, 2009

KAELA WILL BE 15 ON WEDNESDAY!!

Fifteen years old. Does it seem to any of you like our grand kids are the same ages as our KIDS?? How can this happen...When my mom told me I would turn around a couple times and Wayne would be grown I thought she was exaggerating, just a little. Then after Connie started walking and was nearly ready to start school Toni made her appearance and I've been turning around ever since. I guess I expected they would grow up some day but I am still turning.

It's different now though. Now the grand babies are all growing up and I seem to be spinning instead of turning. I remember the day Kaela was born. Not the birth mind you, but the day. My boss would not let me leave when I got the call from Wayne that they were on the way to the hospital. I had only been at work about half-an-hour and went in to tell her I had to leave and why and she said, "Alma, the hotel comes first. If you leave then who will make your calls, check the meeting rooms, check the A.V." and on and on. I thought she was joking and said, "divide it up between the other nine women in the office?". She was serious, I was not given permission to leave to be at the hospital with my son and daughter-in-law. Les went and I cried ALL morning and into the afternoon. Every time I took a call some one would ask if I was sick and my answer was "YES"! About three o'clock (I got off at 3:30) she came to my desk and said, "Look, maybe I should have let you go, why don't I take you up there", for those of you who know a little about the Houston area, it was a little north and east of Spring. I simply told her to forget it. Someone would have to "cover" for her if we both left. Needless to say, it was not the happiest day I spent at work.

That afternoon though when we got to the hospital there was Kaela, with her family gathered around. How sweet she was. I remember she had a very distinct and one of a kind lullaby. Nothing could put Kaela to sleep except the vacuum cleaner. I think Wayne and Sandy must have burned out a dozen vacuums and a lot of carpet before Kaela would go to sleep on her own. Guess what, she still sleeps through vacuuming!

When she was about two years old she had the wildest curly hair. Pony tail holders were pointless with her because her hair was so fine and unruly they would not stay. She loved to be around people, hated being buckled in her car seat, and laughed her way through every one's heart.

One day she and Bailey and I were going shopping and to lunch at Souper Salad. I think Kaela was maybe four and I kept calling them Baela and Kaley (which I still do). Finally she said, "Nonna, why don't you just call us guril one and guril two"?
Kaela has grown into a sweet, beautiful and always smiling young lady. Don't tell her mom or dad this, but when she comes to Nana's she helps with little ones, sweeps or vaccuums, loads the dish washer, anything I need help with. I am looking forward to watching as the next few years go by and knowing that her smile and blue eyes will always shine.
Kaela Bug, I Love You and hope your birthday is great!

Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: IT'S KAELA'S DAY
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Kaela, this is such a special way to tell her how special and sweet she is and how much she means to all of you. Great job Nonna as always.

    ReplyDelete