Sunday, September 20, 2009

MY "LITTLE BROTHER"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, "LITTLE BROTHER"

This brings a smile to my face. The title of this blog is as old as he is. For so many years I would tell people, "this is my little brother", Valmond. I'm not sure why that description stuck. VP, as I call him most of the time now, hasn't been my "little" brother for many years. Why I never said younger I don't know.

He is two years younger than I am, and yes, I think that makes him just a bit past middle age now. (no comments from the peanut gallery, okay?) He's also been much taller than I since we were pretty young.

He has about half as many grand kids as I do, and I'm sure he has twice as much gray hair...but who's counting????, not me for sure.

...I remember times when he let me "dress him up", (very much younger brother)

...Times when we would sit under the kitchen table, in the old kitchen on Webb Drive, and tell stories that scared us both so badly we would get up and lock the back door, locking mom and dad in the backyard.

...The times I upset him about something, imagine that, and he would chase me around the house speaking in some unknown toung and saying "if you only knew what that meant"

...Playing Rook with Wayne and Sam and never understanding how they could win every game. I think about two years ago I figured out, when they talked about what color the telephone was, they wanted trumps to be black, or how the grass needed cutting, trumps would be green. It really took me a long time to get that one.

...I remember him doing my biology note book my senior year (he was a sophomore) and I would do his English papers. Bub, who came out with the better grade, never mind I don't need to know the answer to that one. We both passed, right?

...I guess this would be about the time he started working at National Food Store on Acadain. I didn't know sackers made so much money. Well, I guess you could say sackers sisters made pretty good money. I was really glad they got tips every day. Oh, did I ever tell you how much I appreciated you loaning me those tips??

...Then came the time I got really sick and had to come home and stay for a couple weeks (he would probably have been about 19 at the time). About all I could eat was crushed ice. Guess who brought a certain sister a huge cup of ice every afternoon and sat on the end of my bed just to visit? Yup, it was that "little" brother.

...I guess after "Little Wayne" was born and I was back at home again, those tips were burning holes in VP's pockets because he started a piggy bank for little Wayne and every afternoon he would come home and put the change in the pig. How did Wayne thank him, by burping up on his sweet uncle.

...Then there would have been Uncle Gowman and Uncle Bagins, where did those names come from, do you remember? Both of my girls do.

...Wayne, on the other hand remembers having his uncle Valmond for a fifth teacher when he was only in the fourth grade.

...I guess what I remember when I think about my "little brother" is family, both ours when WE were kids and our kids when they were young. I love them all. And dear little brother VP, I love you, more than you will ever know.


I also thank Our Father for showing us His love and giving us His grace.


I Love You, Bubby
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AGAIN


Sissy

1 comment:

  1. A very nice tribute to a brother I know that you love very much. I also hope he has a great birthday and that you have many more years to share together.

    ReplyDelete