Monday, May 18, 2009

Words From Michael


For some reason I have been thinking about Michael more often than usual. The words that follow will be words spoken by him over the years:
(there might be a couple explanations just so it makes sense)

about three years old:
1. "wunch box" (Nana -- "What do you carry in your wunch box?") my wunch????!!!!
2. "wittle white dog wif bue eyes" (Nana -- "What are you going to call your wittle white dog wif bue eyes?" wittle white dog wif bue eyes??
3. "Nana, it's a adagator" (it was really a piece of bark from a tree but we were pretending. Michael, where is your adagator?) Uh, what adagator, it's a stick, Nana.
4. (Les tried to teach him Spanish. The sentence was, "Como se llama" what is your name.) After three days of practice with Michael not saying a word he jumped up in Wal-Mart and said "Yo mama es"!
5. We went to visit when he and Connie lived in an apartment in Zackary. While we were riding in the car with Michael between us in the front seat (before seatbelts were the law) he kept asking us what it felt like to die and go to heaven. We were both baffled and kept telling him all the "right stuff", like it will be wonderful, no pain, no crying, no bad things but he was adamant that he wanted us to tell him what it was like for us. Finally he said, "my mommy told me that my Nana and Papaw both died and went to heaven to live with Jesus, so what's it like?"
about five years old:
1. Why did God not make himself a mother, everyone knows mom's love you better than any one.
2. We all know if you have a bad conduct grade (even in Kindergarten) you don't get a birthday party, right. Michael was busted sitting behind the bookshelf changing his grade from a "c" to a "b".
3. If God is the Father, Son and the Spirit, who is the Mom and sister?
4. Nana, please pray for the kids at Burke Road, I don't think that is where they need to be. (His daycare and 1st and 2nd grade school)

about eight years old:
1. So you lied???
This just has to be put into story form because there is ground work to lay. I picked him up from school every day and brought him home with me when he went into public school. One Friday afternoon I had to go across Houston to a meeting and had to get him early. They really frown on checking kids out early so I made up this little story about having to take him to the doctor. When they called his class room they said to send Michael and all his stuff, he had a doctor's apt. Well, Connie had not told him about getting out early so he figured a trip to the doctor meant a shot. I could hear him when he left his class crying and screaming at the top of his lungs, "No I'm not sick. NOOOOO please no shot. No, oh Jesus please help me." I'm not kidding, every teacher was looking out into the hallway. After we left the office with him crying I got him outside on the sidewalk and bent down to talk to him, looking into his eyes and hugging him while I explained about the trip across town and yada, yada. He stopped crying and looked right into my eyes and said "so you lied?". I was totally shocked silent. No words would come out of my mouth. When I finally found my brains I said "you know, honey, I did and I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have. Will you forgive Nana?" His reply shocked me almost as much..."I think it's okay Nana. My mom does it all the time". That night I was hosting a Ladies Retreat and ended up spilling my sins before the whole group and after they prayed for my lying, they laughed all weeked at me.
Well, this is about all the Michael humor a body can stand. I promise I won't bore you longer.
Good night and may God bless you all

1 comment:

  1. These are some of the best memories for me. Zack has a lot of them too. So much quick whit and really insightful comments. Love these boys.

    ReplyDelete